Let’s kick off the stress of 2021 and reset for 2022!
Drinking enough water each day is a crucial and easy way to maintain your health over the silly season. We recommend drinking 2-3L of water every day. A few of the key benefits of staying hydrated:
- Weight Management: Water is a natural appetite suppressant and often we think we are hungry but really our bodies are just dehydrated (have you ever wondered why you are so hungry when you are hung over?!)
- Increases Energy & Relieves Fatigue: Since your brain is mostly water, drinking it helps you think, focus and concentrate better and be more alert. As an added bonus, your energy levels are also boosted so you can fit more activities into your day!
- Flushes Out Toxins: Many of us will enjoy more food and alcohol than usual over the silly season so keeping up your water intake is critical to getting rid of this waste through sweat and urination.
Phones, emails, tv, online games – it’s a reality that screens are everywhere! They are in our homes, bedrooms, offices, vehicles, pockets and purses. Use this time to consciously switch off and reduce the amount of hours you spend on your devices.
A gentle reminder, when you are using a device, you are disengaging with something else. Think to yourself; is that something else important to you? Perhaps it's a child, a significant other, exercise or your beautiful surroundings. Free up that time, tune in and enjoy what is right in front of you!
For many of us we will be away visiting family and friends or taking a well overdue holiday this summer. We may not have access to our usual workout routine in gyms or studios. This is the perfect opportunity to get creative with activities to stay motivated to move your body – sign up to ember to access our online Pilates classes that you can do anywhere/anytime, hire a surfboard and learn a new skill, challenge your family and friends to a game of tennis or golf, or enjoy some solo time with an ocean swim or a relaxing yoga class. We encourage you to move your body at least 3-4 times per week and try a variety of activities you wouldn’t normally do in your day-to-day busy life. Make the most of where you are and what you have available to keep fit during the silly season.
Consuming 5 serves of fruits and vegetables each day will help maintain our health goals. Our tips to achieving this:
- Where possible, be organised. Plan out your meals for the day. Perhaps try to get a head start by swapping your cereal or toast with a colourful fresh fruit platter for breakfast.
- Replace sugary snacks for healthy snacks like carrot sticks and hummus or avocado/tomato and rice crackers.
- Add veggies to your recipes without even noticing; try adding carrot or mushrooms to your spaghetti bolognaise or go a step further and substitute your pasta with zoodles!
Sleep is essential to our mental and physical well-being and is considered to be just as important for our health as nutrition and exercise. In this very busy, constantly active world, sleep is something that we seem to often compromise. Studies show that one in three adults sleep less than seven hours per night and are chronically sleep deprived. Too little sleep will leave us feeling unmotivated, depressed, irritable, and lacking energy to meet the challenges of life. Holidays is a great time to reset, rest and catch up on those lost hours of sleep. So, take the advice from the experts and enjoy that afternoon nap or lazy Sunday morning sleep in.
The silly season can sometimes lead to a social calendar overload and let’s be honest, after the past year of lockdown we have just experienced, we aren’t used to being a busy social butterfly anymore! We encourage you to remember to take time out for yourself. Read, write down your 2022 goals, go for a bush walk, meditate, get your nails done – whatever works best for you to be able to switch off, slow down and enjoy some alone time amongst the chaos.
And remember, looking after YOU and being ‘slow’ is also being productive!
We love you,
Ash & Morgs x
© 2021, Ember Pilates